The community grew on the "Old Inland Trail" in southern Oregon along the Applegate River fifteen miles SE of Grants Pass and 10 miles SW of Jacksonville. The town and river are named for pioneer Lindsay Applegate. First Postmaster John O'Brien was replaced four days laster by John W. McKay. The post office was in Pernoll's store at the crossroads of the N. and S. Applegate Roads, 1901-1954.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)