The post office was named for the family which ran the stage stop and post office out of the family ranch "Mountain House" at the foot of the Siskiyou Mountains. During Jim Cooke's postmastership beginning in 1905, he moved the post office from the original location 10 miles SE of Ashland on the road that became old Hwy. 99 near the railroad tracks to a location in the "Klammath Junction" area - now under Emigrant Lake.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)