The Copper, CA post office opened to especially serve the workers of the Blue Ledge Copper Mine and, in 1924, was moved 3 miles north, one mile into Oregon. The new post office was in the cabin of postmistress Mamie Winningham on the Applegate River near the mouth of Carberry Creek on the road between Elliot Creek, CA and Steamboat, OR. The post office closed after postmaster R. R. Rooney resigned. Copper now lies under the lake created by the Applegate Dam.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)