Gold Hill was named for a hill on the Rogue's south bank where gold was discovered. The town was at the rocky narrows of the Rogue, near the site of old toll bridges and across the river from the location of the important early settlement of Dardanelles. Gold Hill gained a SP RR depot and then a post office in 1884. Most of the town was swept away by the flooding Rogue in 1890, rebuilt and incorporated in 1895. The community lies at the junction of the Sams Valley Highway, Blackwell Road and Old Stage Road as the business and service center of the area.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)