Originally in honor of U.S. Grant's victory at Vicksburg, the name Grants Pass was given to the mountain pass N of the present city. Next Grants Pass was applied to a nearby stage stop, later to the post office on the railroad and finally to the new town.
Feb. 12, 1885, by act of the state legislature, Grants Pass was transferred out of Jackson County.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)