This post office was located on the ranch of teachers/homesteaders William W. and Irene Willets near Elk Creek (Range 2E, T.S 32, Section 20). After homesteading in 1884, Willets had built a road from Elk Creek and set up a sawmill and school. The village finally got a post office after eighteen years of persistent petitioning. Previously, the settlers had to get their mail at Prospect, 10 miles SE by trail or go 22 miles SW to Trail. Wm W. Willets was the first and only postmaster and the old Willets Ranch area is still known as Persist.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)