Located on the Greensprings Highway (Route 66) 20 miles east of Ashland, the Pinehurst post office got its name from the surrounding sugar pine woods. The post office had been moved a mile from Shake (est. 1896). Before that (1878-1882), the region had been served by the Pioneer post office. This far southeastern area of Jackson County along the old Applegate Trail was reached by twisting roads over mountain passes.
Travelers, lumbermen and ranchers were Pinehurst's main clients, there is no big commercial center on the Greensprings. Equidistant from Ashland and Keno, when Pinehurst post office first closed its patrons received mail by road from Ashland. The road toward Keno was east of the mountain crest and less winding so the area's Jackson County residents' postal service moved to Klamath County.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)