Rock Point post office began at the first postmaster John B. White's store on the north side of the Rogue two miles W of Gold Hill. Known to early settlers as "Point of Rocks," the settlement was an important stage stop with a ferry across the river. The Rogue was spanned by a plank bridge in the early 1860s and a covered bridge in the 1870s. Mail posted at Rock Point went by stage south to Jacksonville or west through Grants Pass to Roseburg for distribution. Rock Point lost the railroad station competition to Gold Hill and finally its post office in 1912. The old stage stop/hotel is now a winery tasting room.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)