The store/post office was on the Old Sams Valley Road 6 miles NE of Gold Hill. The Sams Valley area lies between the Rogue River on the east and south, Table Rock on the west and mountains on the north. The area was named for Chief Sam of the Takelmas. Moonville was the community's nickname in the 1880s after the postmaster/store owener A. S. Moon.
Most of the valley's land was bought for Camp White in 1942, but there was a post office until 1953 service shift to Gold Hill. Most area patrons now have White City or Central Point postal addresses.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)