The post office began in the Watkins' farm wood shed in the Upper Applegate Valley near the mouth of Squaw Creek, about fifteen miles S of Applegate between Wright and Copper. Mark Watkins carried mail up the Applegate weekly and became the first postmaster. Later, by Model T mail came three times a week. The post office moved from Watkins' ranch across the river to Fawcett's in 1901. The office recrossed the river to Langley Ranch until postmistress Katie Byrne took care of mail at her storage shed on Squaw Creek. Five years later Watkins' mail ended up as rural delivery from Jacksonville.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)