Ashland Library, December 13th
History has its strange and unique aspects, even myth-like, depending on the observer. Dennis Powers, local author and historian, presents the 2017 Window’s in Time lecture: Believe It or Not: The Strange and Unique Stories of Southern Oregon, on Wednesday, December 6 at the Medford Library, 205 South Central Avenue, and Wednesday, December 13, at the Ashland Branch Library, 410 Siskiyou Boulevard, from 12 noon – 1:00 p.m. at both locations.
A sampling of this presentation:
· Known for their ability to “sniff out gold” and their antics, the tall-giant Rhoten brothers stood out from the rest.
· Drilling for oil happened in Southern Oregon: Where, How, Successful?
· What strange occurrences are said to have occurred at the Oregon Vortex?
· Did planes actually have to dodge racecars at Medford’s first airport?
· What are a few stories about the spirits living here—Do you believe this, or Not?
· Does Bigfoot really exist—with a large cage actually built to trap it?
Dennis Powers retired as a professor emeritus at Southern Oregon University. He enjoys researching local history with 200 historical radio scripts written for JPR’s “As It Was” and 200-plus for KMED-1440-AM, with his weekly radio show “Past Meets Present” now in its fifth year. Dennis is the author of 22 books, of which his most recent one--Where Past Meets Present: The Amazing People, Places & Stories of Sothern Oregon--is available at the Southern Oregon Historical Society Research Library. All sale proceeds go to the library.