By 1900, the United States had some 210,000 one-room schools, at least 100 of them in Siskiyou County, Calif.
The Yreka, Hawkinsville, and Cottonwood schools opened in 1856, followed by Little Shasta in 1858, which today is one of the oldest continuous one-room schools remaining in California.
The historic Sawyers Bar Catholic Church became a temporary school in the early 1850s under the tutelage of priest-teacher Florian S. Schwenninger.
Around 1870, a schoolhouse opened in the upper South Fork of Salmon River. In 1854, James Abrams moved his wife and baby from his trading post down river to the farm they called Lakeview. Within a few years there were four Abrams children and two Jones children attending the schoolhouse consisting of a 12-by-20-foot log cabin with a rock and mud fireplace. The first teacher was a nephew of Mrs. Jones.
Indian Town School, located along Indian Creek near Happy Camp, was located on School House Flat a short distance downstream from Classic Hill Mine.
Source: Luttrell, George. "Historical Sidelights on Schools in Siskiyou County." Siskiyou Pioneer and Yearbook, vol. II, no. 7, 1955, pp. 1-4; Ball, Lottie A. “The Ambulatory Salmon River Schoolhouse.” Siskiyou Pioneer and Yearbook, vol. II, no. 7, 1955, pp. 5-6; Stanshaw, Christie. “The Forks School District.” Siskiyou Pioneer and Yearbook, vol. II, no. 7, 1955, pp. 8-10.