We want to welcome you back to the Southern Oregon Historical Society Research Library. We have missed you!
Starting JULY 7, we will be open Tuesdays and Fridays from 1-4 PM. For the health and safety of our patrons, volunteers, and staff, we will be following all governmental guidelines and exercising “an abundance of caution.”
Specifically, we will be operating under the following protocols:
- Initially, the library will be open by appointment only. Please call or email our archivist, Kira Lesley, at email@example.com or 541-773-6536 x201, with your informational request, the time and day sought, and whether you need one, two or three hours.
- Once your appointment is set and your topic identified, materials will be pulled and set up for you in the library. The materials will be sanitized before and after use and appropriate space set aside for you to conduct your research. For plastic and hard surface materials, this will include using a disinfectant. For archival materials such as paper, it will mean quarantining them on a shelf until the next open day.
- When you arrive at the library, we request that you call the front desk at 541-773-6536 x200 for admittance. The doors will be locked and not open to the general public thus enabling us to control admittance for your safety.
- When you arrive, we will require that you wear a face covering (mask), maintain social distancing of a minimum of 6 feet, and complete a short contact form for contact tracing.
- Cleaning and sanitizing supplies will be available for your use and it is recommended that you use them before and after your visit.
Archivist Kira Lesley will continue to assist people with research requests remotely, over the phone and email. Many documents and photographs can be scanned and sent electronically. We are currently waiving our fees for scans and research requests, with the exception of high-resolution photographic scans.
We suggest people do research remotely when possible. For those who need to research in person, we thank you for your patience as we adjust to the current situation. The limited hours and by-appointment arrangements are to protect you, our staff and volunteers.
The archivist and volunteers will continue increasing our online offerings, via transcription and indexing, as well as using social media to highlight our existing resources.
This is our first step and we are hopeful that conditions will permit us to increase access while protecting everyone’s health.
Most importantly, welcome back; we look forward to serving our Southern Oregon community.