Named for W. H. Derby, early settler and first of five postmasters, the community of Derby was located NE of Eagle Point, 9 miles W of Butte Falls Highway. The locale had great views of Mt. Pitt, a store and its own school district (1891-1953). When the Pacific and Eastern RR was extended from Medford to Butte Falls, Derby built a depot in 1910. The post office moved to the Derby Station in Feb. 1913. However, the railroad became a logging train and the road west improved. So, although the Butte Falls post office was closer, beginning in 1919 Derby's mail came by rural carriers through Eagle Point.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)